Sunday, April 29, 2007

DPP5

THE DAILY POEM PROJECT, WEEK FIVE

Here are the poems to vote for in week five of my Daily Poem Project (the poems on Poetry Daily from Monday, April 23, to Sunday, April 29):

29. Don Share, "Ruby"
30. Meghan O'Rourke, "Descent"
31. Julianna Baggott, "Q and A: Do you write about real stuff or do you make it all up?"
32. Laure-Anne Bosselaar, "Friends,"
33. Philip White, "Raptor"
34. Paige Ackerson-Kiely, "On the Gentle Nature of Swales"
35. Karin Gottshall, "The Current"

The Rules:

You can send your vote to me by email or as a comment on the blog. If you want to vote by commenting but do not want your vote to appear on the blog, you just have to say so in your comment (I moderate all comments). In any case, I will not post the comments until after the final vote is in (secret ballot). Please vote by the number of the poem in the list above! Please make a final decision and vote for only one poem! Please VOTE BY THURSDAY, MAY 3!

Results of previous weeks:
Week One
Week Two
Week Three
Week Four

6 comments:

Bruce Loebrich said...

Here's my ranked list (my favorite is at the top):

35. Karin Gottshall, "The Current"
32. Laure-Anne Bosselaar, "Friends,"
29. Don Share, "Ruby"
33. Philip White, "Raptor"
34. Paige Ackerson-Kiely, "On the Gentle Nature of Swales"
31. Julianna Baggott, "Q and A: Do you write about real stuff or do you make it all up?"
30. Meghan O'Rourke, "Descent"

SarahJane said...

I vote for Baggott.
cheers

Donald Brown said...

A clunky bunch. I don't find much here, only three of the poems would I bother to read again:
30. O'Rourke, "Descent"
32. Bosselaar, "Friends"
35. Gottshall, "The Current."

Of the three I'm most partial to 35 because it's so simply direct and yet effective in its evocation of place, and place-names, and of the water and the minerals that make her sing. It's a bit more inflated than it needs to be, but it's still spare enough in its language so it's not overdone. And whereas some other poems here have bad enjambments, her "I was raised on cold cash and water / heavy with minerals" is kinda clever (cold cash and cold water...heavy with minerals). "Blood-hunger for stone-food" is effective too. #30 is tougher as subject matter but I never quite know what it is the poem wants to tell me. The mother, who seems interesting in the manner spoken of, disappears and it's the "sights" of a newborn we're left with. Those cats are pointless and the geese shapes one of those reaches for image that leave us none the wiser. In #32 I applaud the lines: "I don't / want to explain this further, I'm done with it." But the rest of the poem, risking that gnomic self-importance poets are prone to, delivers clingy iterations like: "it's you seeding the first beat into the heart / I open." Shazam! Was it good for you too?

so, I'll go, grudingly, for #35. At least I'd like the poet to show me around some beaches...

Anonymous said...

Regarding Ackerson-Kiely's
'On the Gentle Nature of Swales' :

"next years crop" -- a missing punctuation mark to annoy/disturb me (yet again) ... it will also (probably) keep me from voting for this (otherwise quite gorgeous) poem

-- dhsh

Anonymous said...

Well, it's either 'Raptor' or 'Current' for me this week; I'll let you know which later. And who knows ... I may even end up choosing the one with the missing apostrophe after all. The voting deadline is when, again?

-- dhsh

Anonymous said...

My vote goes to #33, 'Raptor' by Philip White ... because it seems flawless to me, accomplishing so much of its story/message with subtlety, understatement, and implication.

If you're interested, my second choice is/was #35, 'The Current' by Karin Gottshall. Although I feel quite positive about it overall, it has a couple not-so-little flaws (to my ears/eyes) ... one such is the deja vu + horses remark, which seems totally UNintegrated into its surroundings.

FYI, I liked both of these poems "well enough" that I'm considering reading (maybe even buying!) the whole books in which they reside :D))

-- dhsh