Monday, December 10, 2007

Anagram poems

Here's my comment on a post by Deborah Ager:

One can also write anagram poems in which each line is an anagram of the first. Once, when I was very agitated and depressed (breakup blues), I did it with Dylan titles:

You’re gonna make me lonesome when you go
where eyes go. Unmake me, you, long moon on a
lake. O one, go, how you unsang me, my mere one.
Go anger, you lone omen, when you make me so
alone, our unknown game, o my eye goes home.

I was amazed by how expressive such a constraint could be.

4 comments:

SarahJane said...

That is so cool. I have to try that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out. Deborah

michi said...

and you were not using an angram finder???

cool.

Andrew Shields said...

No anagram finder. I did my anagram poems in 1992, in an apartment in East Berlin, while distraught about being broken up with. No phone! I've got a draft of the beginning of a longer poem about a phone booth in post-unification East Berlin. Someday.